Styling a poncho can be a little intimidating. It’s a lot of fabric, and can be unflattering on your frame if not styled for your body. But, ponchos can also be amazingly boho chic and super cozy when styled correctly. And this look is poncho perfect.
This temperate Winter weather has inspired me to experiment with layers, and when a few ponchos came into the shop this Winter, I decided to give this layering piece a try. Loving the fringe detail on this BCBG Max Azria black poncho, I went for a boho look, adding a felt hat in a bright color, a striped, cropped turtleneck, and pleather midi skirt. These Western style shoes really pull the look together, giving it just the finishing sass it needed.
Don’t fear the poncho, darlings! Here are a few simple styling tips for ponchos:
- Keep the outfit one color – like all black.
- Long lines extend the frame under the poncho, especially if it’s a bulky poncho. Try skinny jeans, a maxi skirt, fitted heels, or knee high boots. A long necklace layered over the poncho will do wonders for the eye and elongating the overall look.
- Belt it! A belted poncho can be a super chic look, and help accentuate your frame underneath.
- Layer a solid color poncho over stripes for a fun pop of pattern.
- Get boho with it – add a felt hat and flared pants, or a little extra fringe.
How do you style the poncho for chic layering?
On Linnea | Secondhand pieces: BCBG Max Azria poncho, S/M, $44 / Finders Keeps turtleneck crop top, XS, $22 / Forever 21 faux leather skirt, S, $14 / Penny Love Kenny buggy booties, 8, $38 / H&M felt hat, $10 / Coach mulberry crossbody bag, $38 // Locally-made Pieces: Kitsune’s Closet Mulberry lipstick, $10