One of the Spring 2017 fashion trends to look out for, utilitarian chic is a play on tailored classics and sporty proportions. For a little #throwbackthursday fashion, I styled a timeless-meets-trendy outfit that had me channeling my inner Marilyn or Audrey in these sunnies.
This outfit is such a throw back (#TBT), I can't even handle. I felt like a mid-century babe in this outfit, from the coiffed curls to the utilitarian pencil skirt and feminine blouse. Like a bird on a wire, I felt airy and dainty, spreading my wings, strolling on my tippy toes; and like a total bad ass babe, I felt bossy and confident, rocking those shades like there was paparazzi around the corner.
Even the makeup plays up the updated 1950's style, from the hair style to the bold brow and bright lipstick, taking this trend from sporty to feminine, functional to fashionable. I opted for the Be Smoaked fuchsia lipstick, locally made by Kitsune’s Closet, as a subtle nod to Miss Felicity Smoake (Arrow fans, anyone??), another blonde bombshell. And how fun is the subtle lilac hue to the new hair in this look? I can't get enough of this darling makeover.
Keys to Wearing the Utilitarian Chic Trend
The utilitarian chic trend is incredibly versatile, and so easy to personalize to your style. From urban street to workwear chic, this trend is something any gal can pull off.
Here are a few key tips to keep in mind when wearing the utilitarian chic trend:
- Balance oversized proportions with tailored pieces. Complement a sporty, masculine piece with a feminine, straight silhouette, like a pencil skirt or shift dress, or a lighter, airy fabric.
- Embrace girly accents, like delicate jewelry or French-knotted scarves.
- Pick pieces in dark, muted tones - military green, olive green, khaki, black, grey, white, brown, navy. Play with prints and solids, interplaying subtle details for a cohesive look.
- Try a jumpsuit!
- When in doubt: wear a white shirt. From a basic tee to a button up blouse, the white shirt is a simple way to play with this trend, pairing it with a simple skirt or pants, a parka or jacket, and a silk scarf (for a start!).
- Finishing touches are important, so choose footwear that completes the look. For a more utilitarian, sporty look, go with heavy boots or sneakers. For a more chic, feminine look, opt for a shoe with a heel or sleek silhouette.
How do you rock the utilitarian chic trend, darling?
On Linnea | Secondhand pieces: Catelier hand-painted blouse, S, $34 / Cartonnier (Anthropologie) skirt, 0, $30 / Banana Republic wool jacket, 0, $80 / Franco Sarto booties, 7 1/2, $30 / Rebecca Minkoff bag, $70 / Sunglasses, $20 // Locally-made pieces: Kitsune’s Closet Be Smoaked fuchsia lipstick blended, $12