Now that we're well into fall appointments and taking more by the day here at Darling, we thought it would be a good idea to share with you the best tips for consigners, what sells well, etc. Here are some helpful hints and info for consigning at Darling...
- Looking good: the better your clothes look, the better they will sell. Make sure there are no tears, spots, pilling or any other signs of wear!
- So fresh and so clean: items must be laundered or dry cleaned. We will not take them unless they have been. Remove your cleaning tags and pins before you bring them in (and no dry cleaning bags!). We also are not in the pet hair removal business, so make sure your dog/cat/other small mammal stays away from your items.
- Poppin' tags: if any of your items have tags, keep them on!
- Shoes, shoes, shoes: must be new or barely worn. They show wear faster than clothes, so make sure they are in near perfect condition. No scuffs on leather or suede and make sure heels are in good condition.
- Stand out: items sell well that are one of a kind and that make a statement. For example, a green cardigan with fun buttons and interesting sleeves will stand out more than a plain green cardigan (not that we don't love a good, basic cardigan!)
- Make it interesting: fun prints and details also make an item stand out. For example, this top below is a triple threat: 1) it's got two great patterns 2) it's silk and velvet 3) it has a bow (and you know we love a good bow)
- Brands: below are some of the labels that are the most popular at Darling. This is by no means exhaustive, but these do well and we take these often and they sell well. Others also include Banana Republic, Lilly Pulitzer, Gap, Free People, Frye and other Anthropologie brands.
- Disclaimer: While we'd love to be a perfect fit (ha) for everybody, we are selective and might not take all of your items. And that's ok! That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work elsewhere, they just don't fit into what we sell at Darling and you might be more successful at a store that's a better match.
So to sum it up, the two most important things to remember is that your items should be:
1) in wonderful condition
2) and, well, darling
Our full consignment guidelines can be found on our website here. Call or e-mail us today to make an appointment and happy consigning!