Time to talk about the #darlingweekend. Shop owner Linnea shares her Saturday morning routine for a little Self-Care Saturday inspiration and her athleisure farmers market style.
If there's one thing I've learned in the past year as the sole owner of Darling Boutique, it's this: self-care is everything. It's necessary. It's irreplaceable. It's stabilizing. It's peaceful. It's restorative. The list goes on and on. I've learned in the past year how little I cared about self-care before, and how unimportant it was in my life. I had those realizations during times when I was a hot lady boss mess, not taking care of myself, emotionally whack, mentally drained, and physically famished. I had to make a change. I had to be intentional.
So I started trying out things on the weekend, things I never made time for before. And, by golly, if I didn't see my entire life change - and my weekdays. I've shared just a few of those self-care practices below, and claim to be no expert when it comes to self-care!
Linnea's self-care tips for a weekend refresh:
- Be still. Even though this really is something I try to do every day of the week, I try to find a little extra time on the weekend to do this. Unplugged, no distractions. For me, it means reading my Bible, or reading a good book, or just laying in my favorite spot to pray. Finding stillness in your life is the most centering thing you can do for your self-care.
- Do something for you. With no other agenda than just doing something because you love it. Like visiting the Charlottesville City Market right across the street from Darling.
- Buy yourself flowers (or your shop, same thing right?).
- Do a workout or activity outside of your normal weekly routine. Dance! Frolic in fields of flowers! Play outside with some kids (maybe your own, maybe the neighbor kids)! Be creative, be active, and let your body get a healthy sweat in a way that's pure joy, solely fun.
- Go on an adventure! A drive through the country, a lake day (by yourself, if you're like me sometimes!), a hike in the mountains, a walk on the beach - whatever your heart desires. Find adventure for your soul.
- Treat yourself to something you love in the food category - a smoothie, a meal, a drink, a dessert... whatever your heart desires.
- Cook or bake something! May not be something for everyone, or something that everyone doesn't do throughout the week already. But why not try baking something new, trying out that new recipe, exploring your spice rack without an agenda in mind? Food is good for the soul, y'all. I believe it nourishes deeply when it's expressed with love, joy, and peace.
- Pamper yourself. Take a bath. Give yourself a facial mask treatment. Paint your nails. Heck, for some of us, wash your hair!
- Rest. Find the reset button. Let your mind, body, and soul truly rest. Figure out what that is for you, and just do it.
To be honest, I feel like I am just scraping the surface of what self-care means to my physical, mental, spiritual, and psychological health - and how to do it in the ways best for me.
But right now, today, this weekend, I know taking a moment to be GRATEFUL is the most important thing I could do for my soul.
What do you do for Self-Care Saturday (or Sunday), darlings? Tell me in the comments!
Styled & Modeled by Linnea White, Shop Owner // Photography by Tristan Williams
On Linnea | Secondhand pieces: lululemon split back sweater, size 6, $32, capri pants, size 6, $30, and sports bra, size 6, $18 // Locally-made pieces: Dinosaur Toes "Mt. Countrymore" screen print drawstring bag, $18 // Linnea's own: Frankie Jean Darlin' baseball cap / Birkenstocks
Shop these items and more at Darling Boutique, located on Charlottesville’s downtown mall!